Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
Manitoba is a great place for those seeking Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Ultrasound Technologist) careers!
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (Sonographers) are the professionals who use specialized equipment that produce sound waves to produce images of internal structures to aid physicians in making a medical diagnosis. As a Sonographer, you would be responsible for ensuring the images produced are of the highest quality possible, as well as providing an oral or written summary of the technical findings to the sonologist (specialist who interprets sonograms).
Sonographers are educated to perform many different scans including but not limited to; abdomen, breast, cardiac, Musculoskeletal (joints and soft tissues), Obstetrics (unborn fetus), Gynecology, Neurological (spinal cord and brain), as well as Vascular (blood flow).
Other duties performed by Sonographers include; interpreting physician requests to ensure the appropriate exam is being performed, using independent judgement to recognize the need to provide additional images dependent on the diagnostic finding, obtaining and recording an accurate patient history and collaborating with other members of the healthcare team.
There are many options for medical sonographers in Manitoba, including employment with Diagnostic Services, Shared Health and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.
It is recommended that 40S sciences are taken in high school in preparation for the admission requirement of 18+ credit hours of post-secondary education. Once these requirements are met, you can apply to Red River College Polytech to be considered for enrollment. The program is 28-months. There are 3 terms at RRCP (over 1.5 years), plus a one-year (48 week) clinical practicum at one of the clinical sites in Winnipeg. Upon completion of the program, graduates are required to write a certification exam through Sonography Canada in order to be eligible for employment.
There are currently openings for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in Manitoba, both in Winnipeg and rurally. Sonographers work days Monday to Friday, as well as some weekends and on call as required.
Associations and Licensing
- Everyone who wishes to work as a diagnostic medical sonographer in Manitoba, both international and Canadian diagnostic medical sonography graduates, must successfully complete the Sonography Canada or American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) Certification Examination.
- Most candidates writing the Sonography Canada Certification Examination are graduates from a Canadian accredited educational program in sonography and have passed the Canadian Clinical Skills Assessment process within the program. This is a practical test that evaluates the applicant’s patient care and technical scanning abilities in accordance with the Canadian National Competency Profiles (NCP).
- Internationally educated diagnostic medical sonographers must contact Sonography Canada directly regarding their eligibility to write the National Certification Examinations.
- Additional information is available on the Sonography Canada website (www.sonographycanada.ca).
- Sonography Canada is the credentialing body and the national voice for diagnostic medical sonographers in Canada, striving to advance the profession and further define the role of sonographers in the Canadian healthcare system. Membership with Sonography Canada may be required by some health employers in Manitoba.