Medical Lab Technologist
The Medical Laboratory Sciences program is your path to becoming a certified Medical Laboratory Technologist. As a Medical Laboratory Technologist you will be responsible for collecting, preparing, and analyzing blood, body fluids, and tissue samples, and interpreting results. This is a comprehensive program that requires dedication and commitment to develop proficient knowledge and skill in the five disciplines of laboratory work; Chemistry, Hematology, Histology and Microbiology, and Transfusion Science. Students will also be expected to gain proficiency at drawing blood samples from patients, including neonates and geriatric.
This 28-month advanced diploma begins with the theory and practical foundations at Red River College, the first year consists of two terms followed by a summer break. It instructs students how to obtain accurate and precise patient results with the use of sophisticated laboratory equipment. The second year includes another didactic term followed by clinical training in diagnostic labs where students will be interacting with patients and health care workers in order to obtain the lab experiences necessary for success during a 37 week clinical practicum. Students will be assigned to clinical sites throughout the province with base sites in Winnipeg or Brandon. There is no guarantee that students will be placed at their desired practicum location. There is no guarantee that students will be placed at their desired practicum location. Students will be responsible for costs associated with practicum such as relocation and travel costs.
- Two and a half-year diploma (28 months)
- August entry date
- Notre Dame Campus, Winnipeg
- Clinical Practicum throughout Manitoba with base sites Winnipeg or Brandon
- Nationally accredited by the Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- Graduates are eligible to challenge the national exams of the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science
- Due to high demand, this program is open to Manitoba residents only. Applications received from non-Manitoba residents for this program will be cancelled and the application fee will not be refunded.
Interested applicants with the following attributes would find the career of a Medical Laboratory Technologist very rewarding:
- Have a strong academic background, especially in science.
- Desire to work as a health care professional to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Possess strong organizational skills, the ability to pay attention to detail.
- Have the ability to follow standard operating procedures.
- Must have an ability to critically think, be resourceful, communicate.
- Be interactive as a team member with a diverse population of health care professional and patients.
- Behave professionally even under stressful situations.
- Have the ability to act responsibly and with integrity.
- Are able to approach new challenges and cope with constant changes in technology and in your work environment.
- Have an aptitude for effective communication.
Training & Education Routes
Toll Free: 1-800-903-7707
Link to RRC Site: Medical Laboratory Sciences – Overview :: RRC Polytech Program & Course Catalogue
Regular Admission Requirements
• Post-secondary education is required, as well as an English language assessment and Casper Test and Snapshot. Please visit the link provided for a complete list of all admission requirements. (Could also use this if easier then updating the site when changes are made)
- Successful completion of 18 or more credits with a minimum grade of C+ of degree level post-secondary education from a recognized college or university including: 12 or more credits of Science including Human Anatomy and Physiology (6 credits) – Medical Terminology (3 credits) – a maximum of 6 credits of Arts and Humanities may be applied towards the required 18 credits.
Note: individual post-secondary courses may not be used to fulfill more than one course admission requirement AND
- English Language assessment or degrees of reading power assessment will need to be completed AND
- Criminal Record Check (CRC), Provincial Child Abuse Registry Check (CAR) and Adult Abuse Registry Check (AAR) AND
- Evidence of up-to-date completed immunizations are required within 30 days of applying to this program. Some immunizations may take up to seven months to complete, therefore we recommend you start the immunization process early. For further information on immunizations please seehttp://www.rrc.ca/immunizations AND
- Successfully complete Casper Test – an online situational judgement test that assesses personal competencies and Casper snapshot a short video response tool AND
- Upon request, submit evidence of current certification in Standard First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) with Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Class C. The Standard First Aid is a 2 day (16 hours) course and often includes CPR. Make sure the CPR includes AED and is Class C. Please note Basic Life Saving (BLS) for Health Care Providers (HCP) Level C with AED is also acceptable for the CPR portion. You may also refer to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Manitoba’s website for a list of accepted providers.
DID YOU KNOW:
Entrance requirements for Medical Radiologic Technology at RRCP are also aligned with the following programs in the Allied Health Sciences Department:
o Medical Laboratory Sciences
o Diagnostic Medical Sonography
o Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography
o Primary Care Paramedicine
Applicants can apply to more than one program at the same time (if desired).
Medical Laboratory Assistant
Medical Laboratory Assistant program is your pathway to becoming a certified Medical Laboratory Assistant. As a Medical Laboratory Assistant, you will be responsible for assisting the laboratory in its role of sample triaging, accessioning and processing of specimens. Medical Laboratory Assistants have a great understanding in the pre-analytical procedures that happen in the Laboratory and can have careers in all departments of the lab including Specimen Management, Chemistry, Hematology, Histology and Microbiology.
Medical Laboratory Assistants play a key role in the lab with duties including:
- Patient registration into the Laboratory Information System (LIS)
- Performing phlebotomy
- Aliquoting samples
- Performing and reporting limited routine tests and quality control according to written protocols
- Preparing reagents
Qualifications and Skills:
- Windows computer environment required.
- Microsoft Office programs preferred.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- 50 – 55 w.p.m. key-boarding skills an asset.
- Follow oral and written instructions precisely with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Work under pressure.
- Maintains confidentiality with all information entrusted to the position.
- Fluent language skills (written and oral) in both French and English may be required.
- Ability to perform duties as described to be successful in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures.
Admission requirement is a High school diploma, including Grade 12 Math and English and Grade 11 or 12 Biology or Chemistry.
Program is offered at two locations in Winnipeg, Robertson College and Herzing College.
Graduates from an accredited Medical Laboratory Assistant Program will be required to be certified by challenge the national exam from Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
Herzing College (Winnipeg)
1700 Portage Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3J 0E1
4-month diploma, with a 6 week internship
Salary: $41, 000 – $50, 000