Medical Radiologic Technologist
Medical radiation technology is a science that is based on advanced technology and human compassion. As an integral part of the medical team, Medical Radiologic Technologists, or MRT’s, use their knowledge of physics, human anatomy and physiology, as well as radiation interactions and safety, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. As an MRT, you will be responsible for producing images of a body part or system using equipment that emits x-rays. This program develops the skills required to perform diagnostic/interventional imaging procedures using ionizing radiation and diagnostic imaging equipment. The profession of radiological technologist involves a broad variety of procedures and covers a number of specialties including:
- General radiography, i.e., X-rays of the chest, bones, joints, gastrointestinal studies, and spine
- Computerized tomography or CT scan (detailed cross-sectional images of the body)
- Fluoroscopy (real-time images that show movement)
- Mammography to detect breast cancer in its earliest stages*
- Interventional Radiology/Angiography to examine the heart, blood vessels, and blood flow*
*additional courses/training post-graduation required
Medical technologies are rapidly changing, thus providing a career with never-ending challenges.
This 28-month intensive program begins with three theoretical terms at Red River College Polytech (RRCP). Students learn how to precisely position patients and use x-ray equipment to obtain high quality images so radiologists (doctors who specialize in interpreting x-rays) can report the findings to the patient’s physician to guide them in developing a care plan best suited to them. The clinical experience component is 48 consecutive weeks (January to December). During this time, students will interact with other health care workers and patients while applying the knowledge base acquired at RRCP. Clinical sites are located throughout Manitoba. Students are responsible for costs associated with their clinical experience, such as relocation and travel costs.
- Twenty-eight (28) month – Advanced Diploma
- End of August entry date
- Notre Dame Campus, Winnipeg
- Clinical work experience at several clinical training hospitals throughout Manitoba
- Graduates are eligible to challenge the national exams of the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT)
- Due to high demand, this program is open to Manitoba residents only. Applications received from non-Manitoba residents for this program will be cancelled and the application fee will not be refunded.
Interested applicants with the following attributes would find the career of a Medical Radiologic Technologists very rewarding:
- Have a strong academic background, especially in science.
- Desire to work as a health care professional to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- Possess strong organizational skills, the ability to pay attention to detail.
- Have the ability to follow standard operating procedures.
- Must have an ability to critically think, be resourceful, communicate.
- Be interactive as a team member with a diverse population of health care professionals and patients.
- Behave professionally even under stressful situations.
- Have the ability to act responsibly and with integrity.
- Are able to approach new challenges and cope with constant changes in technology and in your work environment.
- Have an aptitude for effective communication.
Red River College Polytech
Medical Radiologic Technology: RRC Polytech: Program Explorer
Regular Admission Requirements
- Post-secondary education is required, as well as an English language assessment and Casper Test and Snapshot. Please visit the link provided for a complete list of all admission requirements.
Most graduates are employed in hospitals and medical clinics. Some graduates are working in related teaching, management, and research positions. Others are employed as application specialists, technical advisors, or representatives for diagnostic imaging equipment and supply manufacturers.
DID YOU KNOW:
- Entrance requirements for Medical Radiologic Technology at RRCP are also aligned with the following programs in the Allied Health Sciences Department:
- Medical Laboratory Sciences
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography
- Primary Care Paramedicine
- Applicants can apply to more than one program at the same time (if desired)