“As an international nurse, my recommendation is to explore. There is lots of opportunity out there! Especially if you’re thinking about moving to Manitoba. There are so many more job opportunities here compared to any other province. The compensation is good and you get to enjoy the outdoors. I enjoy working as a nurse here, you make a difference in people’s lives every day, and it’s very rewarding.” – Priya, Public Health Nurse, Dauphin

Are you an International Educated Nurse (IEN) seeking information on opportunities in Manitoba? As an IEN, an assessment and some additional training may be required before you can obtain registration with a regulatory nursing college in Manitoba.

Follow the steps below to apply for registration with one of the nursing colleges:

Step 1

Step 1: Apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS)

The very first step for any IEN is to apply to the NNAS.

The NNAS will collect and verify documents required for you for you to be eligible to apply for registration as a nurse in Canada.

The NNAS Applicant Handbook will help guide you through this process.

There are three nursing professions in Manitoba. The difference between the nursing professions are (1) the type of education and training required and (2) the scope of practice. Review the information below to help you determine which profession closely matches your education, training and nursing experience.

Step 2

Step 2: Apply to a Regulatory Nursing College

The National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) will send an Advisory Report to you and the college(s) you selected on your application. Upon receiving your NNAS advisory report, you can apply to the selected college(s).

Click on one of the links below and follow the application process for IENs:

Step 3

Step 3: English Language Requirements

If English is not your first language, you will have to complete language testing.  Below are the approved providers for English Language Proficiency testing for all nursing professions in Canada.  Please see each regulatory body website for more specific information.

CLPNM Language Requirements

CRNM Language Requirements

CRPNM Language Requirements

Click on the links below for more information about the accepted Language testing agencies:

Note: English is the primary language used in the health care system in Manitoba. In Manitoba, nurses use a professional language that requires proficiency levels that are higher than the English language requirement for immigration. It is strongly encouraged to start this process before you immigrate to Canada.

Step 4

Step 4: Clinical Competency Assessment (CCA)

The college will review your application and inform you if a CCA is required. The CCA will provide an opportunity for you to demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills and judgment required of an entry level nurse in Manitoba. 

Click on the link below for more information about CCAs:

Step 5

Step 5: Bridging Program

The college will review your CAA results and inform you of any competency gaps identified.  If required, the regulator will refer you to education which may include a full bridging program or a few select courses. 

Click on the link below for more information about bridging programs:

Step 6

Step 6: Examinations

The last step to practice as a nurse in Manitoba is to successfully complete the approved examination for registration in Manitoba.  The college will inform you when you meet the requirements to apply to write the exam. At this point, you may be able to apply for graduate registration and start working.

Click on the link below for more information about each exam:

Other helpful resources:

Skip to content