Speech Language Pathologist

Speech-Language Pathologists (SLP) are skilled professionals with specialized knowledge and clinical training in the assessment and management of communication and swallowing disorders.

SLPs work in a variety of clinical and educational settings which often includes working with other health care professionals as part of a multidisciplinary team. They provide a wide range of services and support for individuals, families, support groups and information for the general public. For career opportunities please visit the Regional Health Authorities:

Associations and Licensing

  • In Manitoba, the Manitoba Speech and Hearing Association’s (MSHA) mission is to ensure high quality SLP services by its members to individuals with communication disorders and their families.
  • The College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Manitoba is the regulatory body for SLPs in Manitoba. All SLPs who wish to practise in Manitoba must be registered with the College and hold a valid Certificate of Practice.


  • In Manitoba, a master’s degree is required to practice in speech language pathology. There is currently no training program offered in Manitoba; graduates come from other jurisdictions and most come from the University of North Dakota.
  • There are nine graduate level training programs offered in speech-language pathology across Canada. Canadian Master’s degree programs available at:
    • Dalhousie University – S-LP and Audiology Programs
    • McGill University – S-LP Program
    • Université de Laval – S-LP Program (French)
    • Université de Montréal – S-LP and Audiology Programs (French)
    • Université d’Ottawa – S-LP and Audiology Programs (French)
    • University of Alberta – S-LP Program
    • University of British Columbia – S-LP and Audiology Programs
    • University of Toronto – S-LP Program
    • University of Western Ontario – S-LP and Audiology Programs
Skip to content