Undergraduate Nurse Employee (UNE)

Get a head start on your Career in Caring.
Become an Undergraduate Nurse Employee!

Apply your education and knowledge, and work alongside health care teams in a medical, surgical or mental health setting.

Undergraduate Nurse Employees (UNE) work under the supervision of Registered Nurses (RN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurses (RPN) and are an important new addition to Manitoba’s diverse, collaborative and supportive healthcare teams.

As a UNE you will care for patients, gain valuable experience, and log working hours that will give you an advantage when applying for jobs after you graduate.

Get an early start on your career in caring!

The Opportunity

  • A job in medicine, surgery or mental health, where you will put your education into practice, and strengthen your nursing knowledge and skills.
  • Hours worked count toward your seniority, giving you a competitive advantage post-graduation.
  • A competitive salary starting $28 per hour.
  • Entitled to vacation and statutory holiday pay, earned on each cheque.
  • Casual positions with a combination of day, evening and weekend shifts, and no night shifts.
  • Pick up additional shifts on short notice, potentially up to full-time during summer and the winter holiday season.
  • Member of the Manitoba Nurse’s Union.


  • Open to third- or fourth-year nursing students enrolled in an approved Manitoba education program leading to practice as an RN or RPN.
  • Minimum of 450 hours of clinical practice completed.
  • Completion of a clinical placement in medicine, surgery or mental health on an inpatient unit.
  • A satisfactory Criminal Records Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check

Where to Apply

More Questions?

For more information contact the regional health authority where you would like to work.

Health Sciences Centre Winnipeg

Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority

Northern Regional Health Authority
recruitwest@nrha.ca (The Pas, Flin Flon & surrounding areas)
recruiteast@nrha.ca (Thompson & area)

Prairie Mountain Health

Shared Health (HSC Winnipeg, Eden Health Care Services)

Southern Health-Santé Sud

Winnipeg Regional Health Authority

Skip to content